When I was growing up my Dad could be a little odd at times... actually most of the time.  The good thing about that is I grew up not caring what people thought, except for what really matters in this life.   Of course, I learned more about that--the after life--from my Mom.  Something happened on our recent trip to Nashville, and it reminded me of what my Dad tried to get me to do when I was a little girl.   We were on a trip and driving down a road out in the country.  I was in the back seat moaning that I had to go to the bathroom and it had to be right then!  My Dad slowed the car and whipped into a total stranger's driveway!   He told me to go up to their door and ask them if I could use their bathroom.  I slipped down in the floor of the car and said "No way!!!!!!"   He kept trying to coax me to going to the door.  We left without me getting out of the car and I don't remember what happened next, but I must have "held" it. 

In Nashville last week the hotel we stayed at was OK, but not great.  What was way cool though was across the street was a GIGANTIC building.   Mike and I were instantly intrigued and he asked the front desk what it was.  They said nuns lived there.   Mike and I aren't Catholic
, so maybe that is partly why the monstrous building intrigued us.  But I think it intrigued me mostly because it was obviously really old. 
 
Well, the next day after Cokie's surgery we decided to try and drive closer.   The entrance was gated, but the gate was open.  So Mike pulled through the gate of the long, long drive.  He immediately noticed in his rearview mirror that a car pulled through the gate right behind us.  He stopped thinking we were about to get politely told to turn around and leave.  But as luck would have it, the other car pulled up beside us, and the two nuns sitting inside it asked with big smiles if they could help us.  Mike responded and what he meant to ask was whether we could drive around the building.  Instead, what came out was, "We were hoping to get a look around.  The nun in the passenger seat said, "Follow us and we will give you a tour."   Mike and I were like, "Oh my gosh, is she going to let us go inside?!!"   The building was so, so big and so, so old that at first it was almost scary driving up.   Mike asked me, if we go in, will we come out?  When we got to the front of the building, this very young nun hopped out of the car.  She said I can't show you all of it, but I can show you some.   She couldn't have been nicer and answered all our questions.  Turns out part of this building was built one year before the Civil War ended.   At one time up to 350 nuns were living there.  The oldest nun living there now is almost 100 y.o. and has lived there her entire adult life. 
 
The nun giving us the tour told us they have nuns training there now that will go all over the world as under cover missionaries.  It is scary that so many people in our own country would love nothing more than to drive people of faith underground.  Right now, even our own goverment is trying to force the Catholic Church to go against their religious beliefs and perform abortions.  

The nun also told us their main jobs were, learning/teaching, praying and service.  She said they prayed at least 3 times a day--morning, noon and evening.  At first I thought... well all rightie then.   Then it hit me.  Isn't that we all should be doing?!

So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 


1 Peter 5:6 


If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 

2 Chronicles 7:14


Short of being an atheist how can anyone believe this country is not in trouble?    
  
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good. 

Psalm 14:1 

DSCN8525 

DSCN8527

DSCN8508

DSCN8494

DSCN8530

DSCN8529

DSCN8528

DSCN8518

DSCN8511

DSCN8515 

DSCN8510

DSCN8509


DSCN8517 

DSCN8516


DSCN8524

This is the nuns' cemetery.


DSCN8507

DSCN8506


DSCN8520

Scan 68

My parents who are on the other side -- the right side, because even my Dad accepted Jesus before he died.  They both died within 5 years of this picture being taken.  My Mom died 6 months after my Dad.