Flashback Friday

TheBakers

Oh my.  This was my Mom's family, the Bakers, in the early 60s.  I was in the blue dress on the right.  My cousin, Deanna was in the blue dress with the red bow.  She always had cooler clothes than me.

MoreBakers

More Bakers on my Grandpa's front porch. My Grandpa built that house after their first house burnt down.   My Mom was a teenager and said when she got off the school bus the driver told them their house was gone.  They lived in a tent while he rebuilt until a storm blew it down, and then a little shed on their property.   The men in chairs where my Aunts' husbands.  The man in the chair on the left taught school in CA, and so did my Aunt.  The one on the right owned a sawmill and the man sitting on the step was my Mom's brother, a preacher who graduated from Anderson University.  

 Aunt Adria

 My Mom's youngest sister, Adria.  In the first picture, she is in the purple.  The one that dressed her kids... aah cute!  She taught school in Louisiana.  My Aunt Adria looked like Doris Day.

 AuntJoyce

 My Mom's 2nd to the youngest sister, Joyce.  Actually, her kids dressed nice too.  I would get at least 2 sacks of clothes from her girls every 6 months and to this day I'm thankful. : - )


Grace and Whit-1

 My little sister and me.  We literally got in trouble if our shoe strings were not tied straight.  I still remember those dresses, because I liked them both.  I must have really liked them to still remember them, because they are long gone.  My Mom made them.  My dress was red candy stripe and my sister's had little pale pink flowers.  I bet she can't remember them!  I was 6 y.o. and she looks about a year old.  We must have been going to church, because usually we were barefoot. 




S7300712

This was my Grandpa's bathtub that was in the house above. After he died, my Mom's oldest sister bought his house. She threw this tub out in their pasture where it set for 20 years!! When we built our house, over 10 years ago, we went and got his bathtub. I have it in my downstairs bath now. My Grandpa was the best Christian I ever knew. He never gossiped. I know he had to get mad, but was so slow to anger, I don't know if anyone ever saw it. No one ever caught him using a swear word. One day he was working using a machine that cut off his finger. Later a man said, "I bet he cussed then." The other man, said "No sir, he just said, I declare." His biggest fault probably was he was too giving. One time my Grandma had saved up a $1000. They were poor and I can only imagine how difficult it was for her to save that much money up way back then. Without telling her he took it and gave it away. I was over 40 years old when I heard that story and it was the first time I realized he wasn't quite perfect.
S7300693
S7300706
S7300695