1 John 4:4
February is national heart month and as Valentine’s Day approaches, this month is perfect time to consider matters of the actual heart.
Although you lack the power to change some risk factors for heart disease, there are several key prevention steps you can take to reduce your risk, according to the Mayo Clinic. They include:
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco.
- Exercise for about 30 minutes on most days of the week.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get enough quality sleep.
- Manage stress.
- Get regular health screenings.
OK, Lyric and my nieces, Gabrielle and Darby, didn't have heart disease, but Lyric and Darby did have open heart surgery. Lyric and Darby had Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD). When my sister adopted Gabrielle, China said Gabrielle would need heart surgery, but her heart ended up healing itself.
Gabrielle and Lyric.