What happens to me?

Teens in China share the same dreams as teens in the US. Unlike young teens in families, children raised in Chinese orphanages face a very scary future. In some countries, children as young as 14 are made to leave their "home" and begin life as an adult with no family and few skills.

In China , young people are allowed to remain in their orphanage only until the age of 16-18 years. However, their future (or lack of) is set years earlier. In China on their 14th birthday by law, orphaned children become ineligible for adoption. This is true for both international and domestic adoptions.

In the orphanages, only the strong survive. Here are some of the strong. They are girls that are just as deserving as any other adopted or biological child here in the US. I'm always irked when people say how lucky my kids are to be adopted or be in the US. Do they not think their kids are lucky? I don't think they would appreciate me telling their kids how lucky they are not to be orphans.



5

The girl in the yellow was our daughter, Arden's best friend. She was Arden's only "family" and Arden's protector. Her and Arden stay in contact, but as fate would have it these girls are still there.


6

When we were there a year ago we got to meet the girl in the black.




7
This man is the orphanage director where 5 of my kids lived. We have had the pleasure of meeting him and I've only heard good things about him. I think here he has taken the older girls to dinner even though I know some of them are out on their own. Arden's friend told me she really liked him. I think he must have a kind heart and cares about the kids.